Latest Posts

Gaslit – What Happened to Martha Mitchell’s Daughter?

Season 1 of Gaslit follows Martha Mitchell as she navigates a series of complications during her marriage to John N. Mitchell – former Attorney General during President Richard Nixon’s presidency.

Her outspoken remarks during the Watergate scandal against President Nixon solidified her reputation as a controversial figure. She often leaked classified information and dirty tricks to journalists and media organizations at great risk to herself and their reputations.

What Happened to Martha Mitchell’s Daughter?

Martha Mitchell left behind her daughter Marty. Born on January 10, 1961 and living with her father John Mitchell in Rye, New York, Marty attended Stone Ridge Country Day School before attending Georgetown University for college.

She was an outspoken woman who loved to discuss politics and life in Washington DC. As a socialite, she had many friends and even dated several men. However, her reputation as a gossip was well-earned; she would contact the press to spread political scandals.

In the 1970s, she was the first to recognize James McCord as a security guard arrested during the Watergate break-ins. Additionally, she had an admiration for President Richard Nixon.

In 1973, her marriage to John Mitchell ended due to their differing personalities and approaches to handling the Watergate break-ins. They divorced in 1976, and she succumbed to multiple myeloma the following year.

Martha was interred at Bellwood Cemetery in Pine Bluff, Arkansas. To commemorate her life, a large floral tribute featured “Martha was right” written in white chrysanthemums.

Martha had always wished to be an actress but was told it wasn’t possible. While still in school at the University of Arkansas, Martha earned a Bachelor of Arts in history before working as a secretary at Pine Bluff Arsenal before relocating to Washington DC in 1945.

Martha had always dreamed of having a family when she and her husband married. Unfortunately, years of infertility and internal emotional turmoil followed before becoming mother to four children whom she raised with love and support from her family members.

She enjoyed volunteering her time in Hingham, Massachusetts and served on the Hingham Mother’s Club. Additionally, she provided assistance with local Meals on Wheels and the Hingham Food Pantry. Most importantly, she was an amazing grandmother and great-grandmother to three grandchildren.

Her daughter Marty was supposed to marry Paul Savidge. According to multiple web publications, Marty had a marriage license dated March 1989.

What Happened to Martha Mitchell’s Son?

Martha Mitchell was a socialite renowned for making controversial statements about US politics during the Nixon administration. Her candor and outspoken nature gained her much media coverage and cemented her place as an iconic figure in popular culture.

She was married to United States Attorney General John Mitchell, a close friend of President Richard Nixon. They had one daughter together named Marty born on January 10, 1961.

In 1973, they officially divorced. She left Washington, D.C. and relocated to New York State.

As soon as the Watergate scandal broke, President Richard Nixon and his White House staff were determined to prevent Martha from accessing any of the documents stolen by burglars. She was therefore forbidden from leaving her room in California for a week, while bodyguards administered tranquilizers to her.

Despite her protestations, the Nixon administration did not hesitate to use her presence and statements during the Watergate investigation to further antagonize the press. They even used her public appearances and comments as evidence against her in order to discredit her.

Netflix’s short documentary tells the remarkable tale of how a cabinet wife had such an influence on US politics during the 1970s. It provides an intriguing look into how one woman’s candor and outspoken personality had such a significant impact on government decisions.

The film’s narrative is supported by audio interviews from politicians, journalists and Nixon aides. It illustrates how Mitchell’s unapologetic response to the Watergate scandal made her a target for Nixon administration officials and ultimately led to her divorce.

After her divorce, Mitchell experienced financial difficulty and was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, a bone marrow cancer which ultimately claimed her life in 1976. Her grave is located at Pine Bluff, Arkansas and now houses the Martha Beall Mitchell Home and Museum, built to commemorate her legacy.

She fought for her freedom, and ultimately led to the conviction of her husband. He was sentenced to 30 years in prison but released in 1977 before being tried a second time for obstruction of justice and perjury. Additionally, he was found guilty of lying to the Senate Watergate Committee as well.

What Happened to Martha Mitchell’s Sister?

Martha Beall Mitchell was born in Pine Bluff, Arkansas in 1918 and grew up on her family farm outside the city. In 1937 she graduated from Pine Bluff High School. Her father was a cotton broker and her mother an educator.

As a child, Martha Mitchell lived in many different places around the globe with her parents. Their travels greatly shaped her perspective of life and culture.

She experienced her parents’ divorce when she was young, and eventually married Clyde Jennings Jr. They had a son named Clyde Jay Jennings and a daughter named Marty Elizabeth Mitchell.

Martha and her family eventually relocated to Rye, New York. Martha worked as a secretary at a bank but hoped to pursue writing and painting. She was inspired by her father’s research in nuclear physics; his laboratory allowed her to observe microorganisms under the microscope.

Martha was an accomplished artist and writer, yet she had to endure many difficult experiences throughout her life. She moved frequently and experienced great stress. Ultimately, Martha found herself embroiled in a scandal which would forever alter the course of her destiny.

In 1974, she was interviewed by David Frost for a BBC radio program about Watergate. When asked about her experience, she described being held against her will in a California hotel room and having to take tranquilizers when speaking with reporters.

She further claimed that Nixon aides leaked to the press her drinking problem. Subsequently, she was diagnosed with multiple myeloma and her life became increasingly challenging.

Martha Mitchell achieved great success despite all odds in her life. She stood up for what was right, even after losing her marriage, and became a prominent figure in the media.

In 1976, she passed away and was interred at Bellwood Cemetery in Pine Bluff, Arkansas. Nowadays her home and birthplace serve as a museum and memorial, with it being added to the National Register of Historic Places in January 1978.

What Happened to Martha Mitchell’s Brother?

Martha Mitchell became a nationally-recognized figure through her frequent phone calls to the media and colorful observations on America’s state of affairs. She earned notoriety as a whistleblower in the Watergate scandal for her outspoken criticisms of President Nixon, which earned her an image as someone who stirred division within society; harassment and intimidation from government officials often marred her reputation.

Her husband, John N. Mitchell, served as US Attorney General during the Watergate scandal and was accused of committing numerous crimes including embezzling money from the CIA and planning to cover-up the Watergate break-in.

Prior to becoming Attorney General, he had been a lawyer in New York City and practiced law there for many years. During this period, he had one daughter, Martha Elizabeth (Marty), born in 1961.

She attended Stone Ridge Country Day School in Bethesda, Maryland and Georgetown University before working for Dean & Associates. Additionally, she moved to Washington D.C. shortly after her divorce with her father.

In the 1980s, she became active in the anti-war movement and donned anti-war attire to participate in demonstrations against war. Furthermore, she was a member of Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom.

Her daughter Marty was born on January 10, 1961 and attended Stone Ridge Country Day School in Bethesda, MD. Eventually she wed Paul Savidge as reported by multiple web publications.

At 75 years, he has not been visible in the press or online for some time.

Jay’s mother, Martha Mitchell, passed away of cancer in 1976 and was buried at Bellwood Cemetery in Pine Bluff, Arkansas. In 2004, Thomas Doran produced the three-act play This is Martha Speaking by Lee Anne Moore as Martha and Michael Childers as her husband John Mitchell for a one-night production at Bellwood Cemetery.

Her son currently resides in Washington D.C., though he isn’t mentioned on her Wikipedia profile or media appearances for some time now. Though he hasn’t made headlines recently, he continues to lead a peaceful life surrounded by family and loved ones.

Latest Posts

Don't Miss